Sunday, March 2, 2014

Poppin with Print Blocking

So for the past several years everyone has been obsessed with color-blocking and mastering the art of layering one bright and bold color on top of another one...think having a fuschia blouse on with a mustard pencil skirt. And while I absolutely love color-blocking (when it's done right), it can be down right atrocious if you don't know what you're doing.

So now the fashion Gods have moved on....as they always do...and have placed more emphasis on print-blocking than color-blocking these days.  Don't worry if you've gone out and bought a ton of bold and bright colored tops and bottoms to color block..this trend is still in. If you can master prints on prints, you'll be more ahead of the game.  

This was simple print-blocking for me.  It was more of the printed TopShop romper paired with the crazy printed tights.  Prints on prints = FUN!
In my opinion, print blocking is much harder than color blocking. With print blocking, you can have a plaid print paired with paisley...or floral prints with stripes. While these seem completely opposite (they are), if done right, it can make for a completely fashion forward and unique outfit combination. If done wrong, and I've seen a TON of designers fashion shows where it was tres "wrong", then it will not be a good look.



So my first attempt at print-blocking was while I was headed to a photoshoot to shoot for a local accessories company.  I wanted to be comfy but fashionable...so I paired a striped dress with an animal print scarf and then two-toned wheat colored Tims.  Now if that's not a bold mixture of colors and prints, then I don't know what is.  All in all, I was very pleased with how this turned out and received a ton of compliments.  I can't wait to try it out again! 


No comments:

Post a Comment