Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Making a Crop Top Work For You: How I Conquered My Fear of Belly Exposure

Every woman has insecurities about their bodies, and mine is and always will be my mid-section.  No matter how hard I work out or how many diets I do, I just can't seem to find that happy medium for my belly. (See my Eat Clean Challenge post for more deets on how despite my insecurities, I slimmed my mid-section down) So lately, the crop top trend has made a fierce comeback and they are being spotted everywhere. I would always see them on everybody and think, "That looks cute for them...but not for me."

Ese Azenabor 2014 Phantom of the Runway Dallas Fashion Show Mindy Loll Leah Frazier Dallas Fashion Blogger
Standing with my girl Mindy Loll, top luxury consignment seller for Ebay (left) / Photography by Crystal Chatmon
So fancy this...I'm in H&M browsing and I spot this really cute and flowy crop top in white.  My brain starts to go 90 miles a minute on how to style it. So I pick up a pair of high-waisted shorts and head to the fitting room to see how this "trend" would fare on my taller frame and wider mid-section area. The high-waisted look was definitely key. It covered just enough of my belly to keep my most secure lower belly covered but revealed just enough to make the trend work for me. It was sexy and classy all in one...not revealing too much.
Ese Azenabor 2014 Phantom of the Runway Dallas Fashion Show Leah Frazier Dallas Fashion Blogger
Photography by Crystal Chatmon
The next night, I head out to the Ese Azenabor fashion show with some of Dallas' most stylish...and I decide to try the darn thing out.  I ended up pairing it with my striped Limited high-waisted skirt and pops of coral with my necklace by Stella and Dot. It was a hit!  I received so many compliments.  Now I'm rummaging through my closet to find more high-waisted shorts, pants, etc. so that I can wear it again. (Check out my write-up of the Ese Azenabor fashion show here...amazing!)  

Ese Azenabor 2014 Phantom of the Runway Dallas Fashion Show Vanna Collins Leah Frazier Dallas Fashion Blogger
Me and Dallas media personality, Vanna Collins / Photography by Crystal Chatmon
All that being said...take a risk!  You may find yourself thoroughly surprised.  Make the trend work for you! For most of us, all we will need to do is pair the crop top with a high-waisted bottom...and for those who have bodies like Jillian Michaels...well, you can definitely sport a low-waisted bottom and expose the entire mid-section. Not me!  All that to say, I've conquered the crop top...I wonder what I can conquer next...the body con dress????  Hmmm......

Ese Azenabor 2014 Phantom of the Runway Dallas Fashion Show Mindy Loll Leah Frazier Dallas Fashion Blogger
Mindy Loll and I

No comments:

Post a Comment