Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Blessing Jar: Stop Putting God In a Box

Right before the start of 2015 while people were creating vision boards and getting revitalized for the New Year, a friend of mine in the blogger circuit Vanna Collins, suggested to make a Blessing Jar. The premise of the Blessing Jar is that for every blessing that God gives you throughout the year, you write it down and place it in the jar. At any point during the year, should you feel down, discouraged, or hopeless -- open the jar and receive a spiritual push by reading all of the ways that God has blessed you up until that point. At the conclusion of the year, you can also go through and read all of the ways that God has blessed you throughout the year.

Mark 5:19 ~ ..."Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you."~

I was completely head over heels in love with this idea and immediately went to Hobby Lobby to get supplies. I called up my sister for an impromptu girl's night of dinner, wine, and decorating our 2015 Blessing Jars!


Blessing Jar


As we got done laughing and totally acting like we were in grade school hot glue gunning our jars, we were totally ready to see what God was going to do. As 2015 kicked into full gear and I was putting in blessing after blessing into the jar -- I took note that while on days where there may not have been something relevant for me to put something in the jar, there were days where I was putting in 3 or 4 separate pieces of paper.

After a month of putting my blessings into the jar, I realized that there was an even greater lesson to learn in all of this -- and frankly I was a bit embarrassed. When I first started this project and I was looking for jars, I went for the medium sized Mason Jar, truly thinking that this was going to be big enough to have all of my blessings for 2015 fill it to the brim.

Blessing Jar
Me and my sister's completed 2015 Blessing Jars

Little did I know, was that by Mid-February, my blessing jar was more than halfway full. The lesson to be learned is that often we internally humanize God -- we put him in a box. We don't often give Him credit and we surely can't grasp the magnitude of who He is. After seeing and having a tangible way of visualizing His presence in my life, I realize that I probably should have decorated a trash can, rather than a jar, because my God is capable of filling up so much more than a jar.


Blessing Jar
Blessing Jar as of February 15, 2015

Now that little revelation, was truly a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment