Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pause for Reflection

So often we get consumed with life and everything that we have going on.  I myself am guilty...guilty of letting my mind continuously wander as to what all I have to do for the day while someone is talking to me.  Guilty of taking on too much at one time.  Guilty of perfectionism (is that a word?).  But when you take the time to pause....what is God really trying to show you?  On my recent trip to DC, I saw this pic of JFK and wondered what exactly was going on in his mind as he posed for this portrait.  A man deeply blessed, with deep responsibilities, paused for what I can only imagine as deep reflection...

December 2012 White House Tour - Portrait of JFK - Washington, DC
"I reflect at night on who you are, O Lord; therefore, I obey your instructions." ~Psalms 119:55~
If I would only take the time to get outside of myself and my crazy life, I would reflect on the Lord, the path he has paved for my life and truly come into grips as to what life is really about.  As I sat on the Supreme Court steps (below) and watched as my mom beamed as she took my photo I realized (in reflection) that life doesn't get any better than this.  29 years of age, three licenses to practice law...two licenses received in one year...one before the highest Court in the states...man God is good!  To have my mother travel to D.C. with me to get sworn into the Supreme Court was a blessing in itself.  We had the time of our life...and because I was able to put everything aside and to be in that moment with her...it made the experience that much sweeter.

December 2012 - Supreme Court Steps - Washington, DC; Photo Credit: my mama :)
December 2012 - Library of Congress - Washington, DC; Photo Credit: Leah Frazier

So in the midst of life...no matter how crazy it gets, no matter how wrapped up in the "little things" we consume ourselves with...pause for reflection and realize just how blessed you are.  Relish in the smiles of your loved ones...in their laughter...in their joy...and leave tomorrow to take care of the everyday tasks that can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment